25 March 2015

SFW FW 2015

It's been a few days since SFW ended, and it's taken me a while to recover from the excitement and thrill of just being there - let alone being invited as an international guest to back-to-back shows that I've only managing to try recalling everything now in a mildly detailed post now. Of course I can't promise that I can talk about everything because I actually can't remember much - the days were long but they went so fast, starting from 9am till 8pm with half an hour in between each show.
Before starting to scroll through this post, I recommend playing this song in the background for a 'fashion environment ambient'. It was a song that I had heard during a show, and instantly fell in love with.
SongKiasmos (Ólafur Arnalds & Janus Rasmussen) 
Because everyone has to take a picture of the mural right?

I will try my best to make this an interesting post to sift through! Warning, picture heavy! A mix of both DSLR and iPhone, so mind the change in quality constantly. Without further ado....

It was over the course of four out of five days between the 20th and 25th that I was at DDP (동대문디자인플라자) to be apart of this season’s fashion week – the first day around 9am, on the Friday, was extremely nerve-wrecking and hectic being in a foreign country and alone, however it seemed that every single fashion-goer was able to communicate not through language but the universal language of fashion and style. The amazing thing is the Korean Government helps to fund and strongly supports this event to help designers both established and up-coming get lots of success and profit – their goal is to make sure that within the next five to ten years, that Seoul follows closely after the four major fashion weeks in the yearly schedule.

The DDP is a huge landmark so it took me a while to get to my destination to retrieve my front row (yes, it’s true!) invitations in the Art Hall. Now trust that Korea is a country where the youth doesn’t exactly get out and about until after 12pm, but it seems that in the name of fashion – people will wake up in the early hours of the morning just to reserve their spots for good seats. The venue for the shows were divided into three parts:
  • Seoul Collection (Korea’s top and established designers),
  • Generation Next/Off Show (Up-coming and newbie designers)
  • Seoul Fashion Fair (Showroom for Korean fashion brands to sell their products to international buyers.)

There were in total, 85 collections to be on show with 11 shows being menswear which showed on the first two days, the final days where a mix of smaller menswear collections and womenswear. If you're interested in seeing roundups of some of the shows, here is my IG for you to sift through. I didn't post every single show I went too, simply because I didn't want to bombard people and it was chaotic going in and out of crowded places. If you wanted to see what it was like in motion, here's a vlog too.

There was a massive contrast in the way things ran for SFW imo- seemingly, in Western countries, there’s an environment that separates the VIPS of celebrities and regular audiences, where as in an Asian country – like Korea, there’s no limit to who can dress up however they want and get their picture taken – even me, as someone who isn’t a celebrity or well known, was able to get some pictures snapped (and yes it made me feel very VIP!) The focus was not on who attended what show, but rather what was being worn and how it was being worn. The funniest thing to me, as an Australian/ Westerner of the industry, was watching how everyone from celebrities, models to the normal attendee of a fashion show would dress themselves up from head to toe in the most stylish and out there attire, and stand around posing, waiting to be ‘style-snapped’ by several well known photographers (Alex Flinch, Kim Kyunghun, Lee Jaedoo, Ju Minhwoo, Streetper to name a few.)






L: Adrian, the sweetest person I've ever befriended/ R: The cutest couple I've ever met.
I've surprisingly kept in touch with everyone I've met, it's amazing what being in another country can do.




The first show of the week for me was Pethidine in Pearl, which was the first menswear collection for the season – I think I attended more menswear shows than womenswear, but I wasn’t complaining! All the models were striking and had legs for days. The process of actually getting into the shows was that there would be half an hour set times for shows (11:00AM for one show, then 11:30AM for another show in another venue) and surprisingly some major buyers and press went to e v e r y single show, and there were about 10-13 shows per day, I personally managed between 5 – 8 shows a day, which was a lot of work for me, running back and forth, but again I wasn’t complaining, the thrill of entering and seeing different venue designs was all worth it.

There would always be three lines VIP, press/buyers and public, and that would be the order in which they entered. Security guards and PR directors worked themselves to their bones trying to manage everyone and I really sympathised with them. With around 300 people lining up for one show, with say, 60% being press/buyers and the other 20% being VIP who would scream and push to make sure they got in first, the stress was probably building up for the staff – and suddenly I felt so much respect for them, as a PR student myself, I was always really thankful just to be in venue, let alone be seated. The last show for me was Big Park, and it was a great finish for me.

Snapped! 

I won't do a review of each show, but I'll let the list here so that if you're interested in any, you can go find pictures for yourself, I actually enjoyed all of these shows, since I gave myself the option to actually attend over other shows, bolded shows were the ones I really, really enjoyed. 

Friday
  • Pethidine in Pearl 11:00
  • Songzio 12:30
  • Ordinary People 2:30
  • Munsoo Kwon 3:30
  • Heich es Heich 5:30
  • Jehee Sheen 7:30
Saturday
  • Blindness 11:00
  • The Centaur 11:30
  • ANS An Yoonjung 1:20
  • CARUSO 2:30
  • Byungmun Seo 3:00
  • Le Doii 3:30
  • 87MM 5:00
  • JKOO 6:30
Sunday
  • Post December 11:30
  • Kwak Hyunjoo 12:30
  • Paul&Alice 1:30
  • PartspARTS Imseonoc 4:30
  • Tiger in the Rain 5:00
  • Nohke 5:30
  • Choiboko 6:30
  • Soulpot Studio 7:30
Monday
  • Wood house 10:00
  • Chez HEEZIN 11:00
  • Fashion Story Jung Hung Jong 11:30
  • Lie Sangbong 12:30
  • PushBUTTON 2:30
  • BNB12 3:00
  • Ti:baeg 5:00
  • BIG PARK 5:30
Here are some random snaps from random shows, no order and but lots of love! 

BLINDNESS FW 2015

PETHIDINE IN PEARL FW 2015

INVITATIONS   
SOULPOT STUDIO FW 2015

POST DECEMBER FW 2015
PUSHBUTTON FW 2015 
PUSHBUTTON FW 2015 
THE CENTAUR FW 2015 
POST DECEMBER FW 2015
PAUL&ALICE FW 2015 (My favourite model, Seon Hwang!) 
CARUSO FW 2015
PARTSPARTS IMSEONOC FW 2015
SOULPOT STUDIO FW 2015 
WOODHOUSE FW 2015 
Many giftbags from shows, both mens and women products
NOHKE FW 2015

ORDINARY PEOPLE FW 2015
PAUL&ALICE FW 2015 

SOULPOT STUDIO FW 2015

PUSHBUTTON FW 2015


PAUL&ALICE FW 2015 / Style Snap

MORE INVITATION DESIGNS 
JEHEE SHEEN FW 2015
L: FASHION STORY BY JUNG HUNG JONG FW 2015 /R: KWAK HYUNJOO FW 2015

THE CENTAUR FW 2015

ANS FW 2015

JUNG HUNG JONG FW 2015

BLINDNESS FW 2015

BIG PARK FW 2015

BLINDNESS FW 2015

THE CENTAUR FW 2015

JKOO FW 2015

L: GIFTS FROM THE CENTAUR FW 2015 / R: STYLE SNAP
 
BIG PARK FW 2015

LIE SANGBONG FW 2015

L: LE DOII FW 2015 / R: BNB12 FW 2015

PUSHBUTTON FW 2015 

L: PAUL&ALICE FW 2015 / R: STYLE SNAP

VIP/BUYERS LOUNGE

This was an area I did not expect to be apart off, but was invited into anyway towards the end of the week. The showroom where I could stand around and eyeball all of the clothes from every single show from FW 2015 season. The beautiful thing was not being surrounded by hoards of other people trying to take a picture of the clothes, rather I was able to look at, touch, try on and fawn over clothes in a very quiet space. Being 19, I think I showed my childish excitement too much when I entered, as most of the other guests looked over at me and gave me a look that questioned my presence in the room. By the time I had tried on/ touched most garments, people had understood that it was my first time so they gave me a benefit of the doubt.

BLINDNESS FW 2015

BYUNGMUN SEO FW 2015 

This leather jacket from BYUNGMUN SEO is something that I really want to get my hands on, the moment I saw it, I fell in love and had to try it. A bit big for size (as sample sizes are), but I hope to get it as soon as it hits stores in Seoul!

LE DOII FW 2015 / BLINDNESS FW 2015

BEST TILL LAST, READY?
L: JOO WOOJAE @ MUNSOO KWON FW 2015 / R: ME ~WITH~ THE ONE JOO WOOJAE

I was at the rehearsal for SOULPOT STUDIO FW 2015 with Adrian, a friend I had made, and while we were chatting, I noticed that there were people near us who kept taking selfies so I remember (and very clearly too) nudging Adrian and going "Hey, that's a model? He keeps taking pictures with his friends. He's handsome though." And all of a suddenly, Adrian goes "You know how we met at Munsoo Kwon's show? It's him, the one who was holding the sheep toy." And I gasped, I gasped so loudly that Joo Woojae and his friends turned to me and Adrian had to help me walk over to talk to him because I was too shy. All in all, I must say, even if models are perfect, tall, professional and strikingly beautiful or handsome, they are still so down to earth when they aren't in the zone of modelling. Woojae was extremely kind to me and kept bowing whenever I praised him and after having a really small conversation through broken Korean/English, we took a picture. He must have been used to not smiling at cameras because he suddenly did a 180 degree emotional flip and just went stoic at the camera. After that, he went back to smiling and waved to me.... Ah, my heart!

It hasn't exactly been a big big dream of mine to be at a fashion show, but when given the chance, I jumped at the opportunity since I thought "Why not? I've always worked behind the scenes, now I want to be at the front of the scene" and since that day I accepted my first invite, I have gained so much from it both emotionally, professionally and visually. The very fact that I have worked up to this point, where I was able to see my name plastered on a front row seat made me want to jump with joy. It has been an incredible week for me, and I've been on a constant mood of happiness and joy ever since. Even going back to school and trying to regulate my sleeping schedule was no problem, I feel all sorts of gratitude and hope for the future. I feel so blessed, so privileged and so matured. I cannot be more thankful for the people in my life who push me to work hard, and for those who have followed me as readers since the beginning. Many, many, many people sent me messages of congratulations and support for this event so I'm really happy, so that's why I was really keen to do this post as quickly as possible. Sadly though, while I can share pictures and videos, somehow, it's not the same as being there in person. I hope this post was worth it to scroll through, even if you didn't read anything, the pictures were nice, right?


Possibly, if I can manage to get through more pictures, there will be a Part 2!