26 February 2015

Vietnam

Happy belated lunar New Year, or as in Vietnamese, Chúc Mừng Năm Mới! I made my en route
from Melbourne to Saigon on the 20th to spend some time with family that I haven’t seen in ages and to celebrate the ending of Tết and just to explore Saigon (HCMC) for a few days. The last time I was in Vietnam was about 6-7 years ago when I just started highschool, so it's been a long time, so everything and anything was fun to take pictures off (so thankyou to my uncle who was nice enough to wait for me everytime he saw me take my phone out.)
TL;DR, this post is just a general (personal?) photo dump mainly from my phone so I'm not sure how to classify this post. Enjoy the pictures, scroll through, etc.
*For some people, who were curious about why I call the city Saigon instead of HCMC, it's upbringing of family who have their political and personal history with Vietnam. There is no written rule of whether it should be called HCMC or Saigon though.






 This is the most goddamn awful blurry picture ever but seeing a Mcdonalds in Saigon made me lose my absolute shit.

















As I sit here looking through pictures and writing this, I've come to realise how much I appreciate and love Vietnam, and my family there even though I don't know them as well. I was only there for a few days, and few too little, but they treated me with so much love that I actually feel a physically pang in my heart. I miss them lots. I've settled in slowly in Korea into my dorm and I have to really admit that it's been a long and hard day, I hope to update a bit though during my stay to just document how I go and grow, because the overwhelming environment and (not really cultural shock) language shock has really made me feel vulnerable being by myself. I miss everyone so much, but it's all part of experience right?