18 March 2014

Sneakerboy & Marais

Melbourne is starting to catch up to the rest of the fashion capitals of the world as the fashionable city in Australia. Even though it's ranked lower than Sydney, in the past year or so, more international luxury brands are opening way for consumers in Melbourne and it's reflecting really well. With the coming end of March, Melbourne will have a handful of new stores for self-proclaimed fashion lovers with brands such as H&M, A.P.C, and the opening of the Emporium (Which will hold over 20 new and international labels including Victoria's Secret!)

Melbourne's newest addition, A.P.C
I went to visit two very well received high-end boutiques that opened up within the last few months. Both stock luxury brands from shoes to jumpers and both are held within beautifully decorated spaces.


Sneakerboy is this incredible amazingly dazzling confinement of a space that can easily be missed if you aren't looking for it. Inside the store are shelves upon shelves of the latest menswear footwear from luxury labels such as Givenchy and Saint Laurent.


Inside is a m a z i n g, no words can actually explain how star-struck I was when I was welcomed into the store by the two assistants who were happily chattering away to me while I was browsing around. You can look around and try whatever you want, however what makes this store different is that there isn't actually any stock that's held within the premises of the store. Instead, the store is like a massive showroom; basically you walk into a 'virtual' online shopping store where you can get your hands on the large lux amount of products that interest and from there, you can choose to either go home and search the site yourself or buy straight from the store. I'd say the only downfall of the store is that the products don't come cheap- and why would it? It's designer. Expect a pair of limited edition Yohji's or Balmains for around $1500 (or even more.) But! If you do buy something, expect it between 3-5 business days.






While I did point out that the store's quality of products makes it so expensive, I made the spontaneous decision to invest in a sweater… I'm not sure how I feel yet. Regret maybe? After-shock? All I know is that the sales assistant who was talking to me reminded me I was too petite for the shoes … and I went straight for an XXS sweater… During the busy days of university and life, I can at least wake up every morning for a parcel… right?

Marais has a different feel from Sneakerboy, it gives off more of a celebrity- Parisian shopping vibe. Again, this store is also very easy to miss if you don't look for it (I know it took me 20 minutes of wandering around the area.); this store celebrates fashion and culture- it comprises itself of labels like Wooyoungmi, Juun.j, Balenciaga and Celine. What I liked about this store is that Marais continues to stock old and new trends, they collect and sell whatever they deem worthy to be on their racks and the customers are presented with garments like art. It took a while for me to ask for pictures because I always get the feeling that high-end stockers don't like their stores being photographed, but the wonderful assistant I talked too was really friendly and actually insisted that I take some photos to just give the atmosphere of the store. If you're not the timid kind, you will really enjoy walking around and looking (even trying on?) some pieces that catch your eye.






I stayed there for about an hour just talking, exploring, discovering and try on some things. I ended up getting the snowflake-patterned sweater (something about sweaters hmm…) so I'm very happy with that! I feel that I should write so much to explain what it's like to be in these stores, but at the same time I just want to share pictures so people are curious enough to venture out and discovery the stores themselves.

ㅎㅎㅎ ㅎㅎㅎ ㅎㅎㅎ
If you're ever in Melbourne (if you are from Melbourne and have yet to actually visit these stores), make sure you take time out to visit these two stores. Set aside a lot of free time because you'll be staying around for a quite a bit just trying to wrap your head about how incredible the experience is to be holding a Balenciaga skirt from their S/S 2013 collection.

Sneakerboy- 265 Little Bourke St, Melbourne VIC 3000
Marais- 314 Little Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000